The NRSC Thursday released new polling focused on the American public’s views on abortion and protecting life. Following the leak of the Supreme Court draft opinion in Dobbs V. Jackson Women’s Health Organization, Democrats have unleashed a slew of angry, strident and rigid remarks on the issue of abortion. But the new mainstream Democrat position on abortion is well outside the mainstream of American voters.
In anticipation of the Supreme Court’s coming decision in Dobbs, the NRSC has conducted national polling and focus groups around the country to prepare Republican campaigns to fight back against lies from Democrats and the media.
Some findings from the NRSC’s latest polling:
- 54% of voters agree that unelected federal judges should not make laws and states should be able to establish their own laws regarding abortion while 32% disagree.
- 54% of voters believe that abortion should always be illegal or be illegal except in the case of rape, incest, or a threat to the mother’s life while 41% believe that abortion should always be legal.
- 73% of voters agree that an unborn baby is a human being.
- 65% of voters agree that taxpayer money should not be used to pay for abortions.
- Only 30% of voters agree that America should allow abortion any time, on demand, and without apology while 61% disagree.
- 53% of voters would be more likely to vote for a Republican candidate who supports reasonable restrictions on abortion versus 28% of voters who would be more likely to support a Democrat candidate who supports unlimited abortion up until the moment of birth.
- 62% of voters agree that it is wrong to allow abortions after 15 weeks when unborn babies can suck their thumb and feel pain while 30% disagree.
- 55% of voters believe the Supreme Court should allow states to ban late term abortions, while 35% disagree.
The Democrat Party has embraced a radical abortion agenda that includes late-term abortion, funded by taxpayers, up until the moment of birth. It is simply out of touch with the mainstream of American voters.
Statement from NRSC Chairman Rick Scott: “No matter what the Supreme Court decides, what’s clear is that the Democrat Party is well outside the mainstream on the issue of abortion. They support late-term abortion up until the moment of birth and oppose any restrictions whatsoever. They also want to force taxpayers to fund abortion, including abortions overseas. The NRSC has been conducting polling and focus groups for the last few months to give our candidates ammunition to fight back against the lies from radical Democrats and we’ll continue to take the fight to them.”