House Energy and Commerce Committee Republicans sent a letter to three environmental groups with financial ties to a San Francisco-based environmental NGO called the Sea Change Foundation as a next step in the investigation of foreign influence over U.S.-based environmental NGOs. According to reports, it’s been alleged that Vladimir Putin has used Sea Change to funnel money into U.S. based environmental advocacy efforts designed to shut down and undermine American energy production.
The letters ask the League of Conservation Voters, the Natural Resources Defense Council, and the Sierra Club:
- To identify the total amount of funding they received from Sea Change since 2006.
- To identify the specific efforts the funding was designed to support.
- To disclose if they are aware of concerns that Sea Change may be a conduit for Russian funding.
- If they currently or ever have received funds from the Russian government or anyone connected with the Russian government.
- If they have taken any action at the request of the Russian government or anyone connected with the Russian government.
- Due to the recent bilateral pact between Russia and China on defeating sanctions, if they have received funds from the Chinese Communist Party or taken any action on their behalf.
All three of these groups were identified as top recipients of Sea Change grants since 2006.
Read excerpts and find full letters to all three groups below.
LETTER EXCERPT: “It has been alleged that Putin is using a San Francisco-based eNGO, the Sea Change Foundation (Sea Change), to funnel money into U.S.-based environmental advocacy efforts designed to undermine American energy production. According to a 2014 report, Sea Change receives contributions from a ‘Bermuda-based company called Klein Ltd.’ which is used ‘for funneling Russian government money to American environmental groups in order to undermine U.S. natural gas and oil production to Russia’s benefit.’ Notably, reports suggest that your organization is one of the top e-NGO recipients of Sea Change grants since 2006.”
The Energy and Commerce Republican members request the three organizations respond by March 25, 2022 to a series of questions regarding their ties to the Russian and Chinese governments and their funding.
CLICK HERE to read the letter to the League of Conservation Voters.
CLICK HERE to read the letter to the Natural Resources Defense Council.
CLICK HERE to read the letter to the Sierra Club.
CLICK HERE to read what E&C Republicans sent to four groups over possible ties to the Chinese Communist Party.
One thought on “Congressional leaders demand top environmental groups answer questions on ‘tens of millions of dollars’ in funding from China and Russia”