U.S. Representative Barry Moore (AL-02) released the following statement after voting against H.R. 4:
“After failing to federalize our elections through H.R. 1, Pelosi’s deceitful sequel is yet another unconstitutional power grab intended to keep Democrats in power,” said Moore. “Despite being named after a Civil Rights icon, the title only serves as a guise to hide Democrats’ true intentions of centralizing election power with the federal government. I cannot support this delusional attack on democracy, but I remain committed to strengthening election integrity for all Americans.”
Following H.R. 1’s demise in the Senate, Speaker Pelosi turned to her backup plan: H.R. 4, the John R. Lewis Voting Rights Advancement Act.
Under H.R. 4, Democrats are attempting to weaponize the Department of Justice, nationalize our elections, and politicize voting rights:
- H.R. 4 transforms President Biden’s Attorney General into an unelected, unaccountable “Elections Czar” with power over all voting across the country, even requiring states to submit existing statutes to the Elections Czar for approval.
- H.R. 4 will also give the Biden administration authority to veto states’ voter ID laws.
- A recent survey found that 81% of Americans support voter identification laws.
- This bill gives the Biden DOJ authority to designate a voter ID law as a voting rights violation or as evidence of voting discrimination.
- Despite years of claiming that minority communities face discriminatory forces at every turn, Democrats are unable to present any evidence of voter suppression.
- 2018 and 2020 saw record turnout among Americans from minority communities, and voter registration is also high.